Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Party? Na, I'm Good On That...


You know, I've noticed that a lot of people don't know how to throw parties. I actually enjoy social atmospheres where a lot of people come together and have a good time....but lately, the party scene has really been disappointing me. For the most part, my low expectations of parties has caused me to decline invitations. Every now and then, I'll try the party out hoping that it's better than the last. 98% of the time, I leave disappointed and telling myself that I'm through wth parties, or perhaps, I'm just out of that "partying" stage of my life.

Most people my age actually enjoy these parties, and are probably calling me lame in the back of their minds because I'd rather be somewhere else...ANYWHERE else than a party! Who wants to be in a HOT full room of sweaty people, music that only the "DJ" likes instead of diverse, mood stimulating music, and men preying on women from behind for a "grind session" instead of an actual dance? There is no food, the hosts are stingy with the drinks, THEN they have the nerve to try to charge? Na, I'm good on that...

I don't throw parties because I'm just not into the whole cleaning up after people and risking having things broken or stolen....but I'm pretty sure that I could throw a good party. It's all about the atmosphere that you create...not how large a party is or how many drunk fights went down. It's not about how many people you invite. It's about what KIND of people you invite.

First of all, EVERYONE and their uncle should not be invited to parties! If you're the host, you should know everyone in the party. There shouldn't be people in your HOUSE drinking your drinks, messing up your things, stealing your stuff and harrassing your guests. No wonder everyone is all clique-ish and nobody is dancing...your college friends don't want to mingle with those thugs that walked in off of the street. You've created an unsafe atmosphere and something bad is bound to happen under these conditions. As the host, you should know ALL of your guests because your guests should only bring people that THEY know. You are the link between everyone in the party because you create the network. The more people who know each other, the better of a time everyone will have, and you're likely to get these same kinds of people at your next party.You may not produce a "thick" crowd, but you'll have a nice, fun crowd.

Secondly, what ever happened to food and games? A few boxes of pizza and a deck of cards would't hurt...and if it does, you just shouldn't be throwing a party if you can't afford to keep your guests comfortable and entertained. Your party will last longer if your guests are happy. Personally, if I'm hungry at a party and I need to leave to get something to eat, I'm probably not coming back. Once people start leaving your party, more and more people find reasons to leave. Before you know it, you're left alone in your living room, music still playing, and a HUGE mess to clean up.

FINALLY, play music that appeals to your crowd. You might not want to play a lot of Gucci and Soulja Boy in a party of mostly women. Mix it up. Don't be afraid to play throwback joint every now and then. There are so many artists to choose from...it's okay to stray away from what's popular.

Sorry to rant. LOL!! This started off as a status...but then I realized that I had a lot more to say about the subject matter...

Ok. I'm done [=

No comments:

Post a Comment