Friday, September 18, 2009

Do titles screw up a relationship?

oprah-stedman

I was riding in my car listening to Ryan Cameron on V-103 the other day when he mentioned Oprah’s thoughts on her relationship with Stedman.

“Had we made the official marriage commitment, we wouldn’t still be together. The reason the relationship works is that we get to define it on our terms. It would be very different if we were in a ‘traditional’ relationship where I was expected to be a wife and every now and then cook a meal!”

Now mind you, Oprah has been with Stedman for over 20 years but has no intentions on getting married. That’s a long time to be in a relationship and not make that “official” commitment. In reading this, I had to wonder if the real reason Oprah chooses to not marry is because she’s protecting her assets or is it that her perception of what marriage should be is a bit distorted. Do we still believe that men and women are required to play those “traditional” roles in their relationships…especially with the change of the times? Are married women still required to stay home and “cook a meal” while her husband works to support the family?

…BUT then I realized that maybe it’s me that has the distorted perception of what relationships and marriage should be.

I am afraid of commitments and it’s not because I think I will cheat. I think at times we, as woman have a habit of forcing men into relationships and situations that they are not ready to commit to. For us, titles become important over time. We need to know if we are the main chick, mistress, girlfriend, fiancee, wife. We need to know our status…

Do Titles Screw A Relationship up? I ask this because with titles we create limitations and boundaries in our relationships which in turn creates unnecessary (or necessary) pressure. My expectations of a person as my boyfriend are higher than that of a friend I am just dating. My expectations of my husband are higher than that of a person that is just my boyfriend. MizzSassy2u said it best on twitter “[It may not be titles that causes the issues in relationships] It’s the change that occurs in individuals because of their perspective on what the title means that causes issues”. Why is it that my cousin dated her high school sweetheart for 12 years but it wasn’t until they tied the knot and she became wife that the problems started to arise.

Also when I think of me in a fully committed relationship, I think of me losing myself to become what my significant other wants me to be. When I think of me as a wife, I think of me giving up my career, my goals, my dreams in an effort to take care of home and help him support his. Distorted I know… but that’s how I grew up and what I saw within the relationships of my own family.

I want to break out of that…because I know more than anything it’s about compromise…BUT right now, I am happy with companionship.

Comments on the Oprah post in AJC

It is hard to believe that so many women live their life by this woman. Even though there is nothing wrong with being single but is she sending the right message to young women? You do not have to get married but just find someone you can put up with for the rest of your life. If he messes up, kick him him to the curb besides I am not giving up my half to him but I will take his !!!

Long Term Companion – This is what society has sank to. Young women grow up and prepare themselves to find a Long Term Companion! What kind of foolishness is this? The correct term for this type of woman is an Old Maid!!! How glamorous does that sound?

I’m not going to die an Old Maid, I will promise you that… BUT I do feel Oprah. I will get married when I feel like it and he can keep his half. Well, that’s unless he f*cks up…

Cheers to your relationship Oprah!

~ Taken from Necole Bitchie

No comments:

Post a Comment