Monday, September 21, 2009

First Dates

What is expected on a first date?
Seriously, think about it...
In my opinion, it seems like standards have plummeted.
Whatever happened to a male driving up to the residence, walking nervously up to the front door, knocking, then being faced by an intimidating father, or a welcoming mother?
Whatever happened to being led into the living room to engage in shaky small talk with the parent until the lady appears at the door-- looking gorgeous as she tells her mother/father to "shut up" and leave you alone? Whatever happened to you standing up and smiling at her, excited for the night to come, the lady smiling as she takes the flowers you purchased for her and smells them.
*Notice I said purchase. NOT the ones you pick on the way there, or steal from your mother's vase.*
Whatever happened to dinner? Respect? Chivalry? Opening the door, pulling out chairs, allowing her to order first?
Whatever happened to the movies? Allowing her to chose the movie-- hoping that it's scary so she can push up against you? Smiling extra hard when she chooses a "chick flick" even though you KNOW you don't want to see it? Sitting in the uncomfortable chair beside her, not thinking about the movie at all, but pondering if you should place your arm around her or not?
Whatever happened to walking her to her door?
Watching her walk inside before you pull off?
The first kiss?
Wait...is a kiss on the first date slutty? Disrespectful?
Is sex acceptable on the first date?
Before you start to wonder if I'm a sensitive dude stuck in a romantic comedy, hear me out. I was talking to a few MEN the other day, and they were wondering the same thing.
As respectable gentlemen, we wondered what happened to the "DATE"?
Nowadays, a "date" is a guy calling-- wait, pardon me, TEXTING a lady after 9PM and asking her if she'd like to come over and "chill."
Correct me I'm wrong.
"hey, baby grl. whatchu doin?"
"nothing, finishing up some homework. what's up?"
"sitting here bored. tryin 2 find sumthing 2 do. U wanna chill? watch a movie?"
"sure. I'll text you when I'm done."
"Bet :-)"
She comes over, they start to watch a movie, then all of a sudden his real motives appear very clearly...
Is this what ladies expect and settle for?
On the flipside, I'm tired of taking women out on dates and spending money then later realizing that I don't want to date her. Everybody is on their best behavior on the first date, so it takes a couple dates to realize that this...just...isn't for me. By then you've taken her around the city, and spent money that you can't get back.
What is the correct dating etiquette?
I'm asking the ladies and gentlemen to speak their minds on this one.
What do you think a good date is? What is the worst? What HAS been your best date? What was your WORST?
Speak to me!

~ L. McCall

No comments:

Post a Comment